I have included affiliate links in this post that are associated with the products I use and trust
I thought I would post my “studio” setup to prove that you will not need to spend a lot of money. I chose my equipment with 3 things in mind.
- Space, I do not have a permanent studio so needed something that can be done in a small area and stored nicely.
- Money, I do not have much money to spend on my hobbies and my rule is only spend money my hobbies have raised. I have made enough money from micro-stock photography to pay for this setup, but needed to make every penny count.
- My needs, I knew I wanted my setup to do two things.
- The ability to work in layers, by adding layers to a green screen setup a lot of great things can be done.
- The ability to be setup as a photo booth. I love the instant results that green screen and did not want any post processing work. Someday I may take my setup to a craft show and see how it does.
PhotoKey 8 Pro, this is where I spent most of my money. Photokey Pro lets me use layers, has a PhotoShop plug-in, and can be used to setup a photo booth.
Review to be coming in a later post.
Pentax K-7 14.6 MP Digital SLR with Shake Reduction and 720p HD Video (Body Only), The camera I already owned and love. Here really any camera will work but a DSLR will give the best results. I use a Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 XS Lens to shoot most backgrounds and photoshots. I do have a Sigma 18-50 F2.8 for when I have to shoot in less space and a Sigma 105mm F2.8 macro to create close up backgrounds. The one thing I have added to my setup that I love is a Wifi Sd Memory Card 32GB Class 10 2nd Generation Ez Share . With this my photos go instantly to my computer or smart phone and are imported into my green screen software.
I know most people will not like my lighting setup but it has been getting the job done. I use a Pentax AF360FGZ II Flash on camera pointed at 45 degree angle to model and a Speedlite YN 560-II in slave mode on a stand and shoot through umbrella.
I will be posting more about lighting in the future so If this does not make scene to you I will explain more on this later.
Impact Super Collapsible Background – 8 x 16′ (Chroma Green) I love this background, it is huge. It is large enough to shoot 2 people against it. Folds up to be about 3′ around and can be taken anywhere. No need for a stand if you simply lean it up against a wall.
Folding this thing takes some practice so here is a video to help you out
I will be updating this post to include photos so please come back and check it out later