I love Etsy, there are some great shops with great owners. Most of the guides I have read say that product photography is one of the keys to selling your goods. I have seen many product “studio” setups posted have not seen anything like my $5 green screen studio so thought I would share it.
Yep that is it, not much to it. Most of the work will be done in your phone. No computer or camera needed.
- Green construction paper
- White paper or reflector
- Iphone or Ipad
- Green screen app (Green Screen Wizard)
- Room with soft light
Here is my is my lighting
I know most of you have been told you need a professional camera, lighting and Photoshop, but why. Today’s phone cameras are great little cameras. They do a great job of focus and getting good color. Professional cameras have larger sensors that give you that wonderful blurry background. In product photography you want everything in focus. With a professional camera you will need to select a smaller F-stop to keep everything in focus. When you do this more light will be needed to get the correct exposure. Once you add more light extra care must be taken to prevent shadows. Yes, this can be corrected in post-processing but why.
I use a $5 green screen phone app to get this same effect. Photo’s are taken with my phone. The app can remove the background and now I can add any background I want. From my phone I can upload the photos directly to Etsy with no need resizing them. This has been a great time saver for me and I have been happy with the results.
Tips for getting the best results
- Avoid shadows– With soft natural light often you will have very little shadow. The software will have a harder time creating a clean background if shadows are present. I used a white paper to reflect light back to get rid of the small shadow I had. For better results I would have used a reflector but wanted to use things everyone has around the house.
- Position any shadows you have– Even with careful light you may still have a shadow. try to hide this shadow behind the product if you can.
- Make small adjustments in software– When using the green screen app make small adjustments at a time. The default setting is pretty good but you may have to increase the green removal. Do not go crazy and turn it all the way down, details will be lost in your product.
- A simple background– With this method your product can be placed against any background. Keep in mind you do not want to misrepresent the size of your product. It would be easy to make a ring look the size of a house in backgrounds are chosen poorly. I like a simple solid color.
All photos taken with a Iphone and Green Screen Wizard app. Other green screen apps are available but I have not tested them yet.
Would love to see and hear about your results with this setup, please post below.